The Federal Ministry of Health has confirmed the first case of coronavirus in Lagos1, Nigeria. The case, which was confirmed on 27 February 2020, is the first case reported in Nigeria since the January 2020 outbreak in Wuhan, China.
This case involves an Italian citizen working in Nigeria who returned from , Italy to Lagos, Nigeria on February 25, 2020. This has been confirmed by the Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, which is part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
The patient is clinically stable, has no severe symptoms, and is being treated at an Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.
The Nigerian government is stepping up measures through the Federal Ministry of Health to ensure that outbreaks in Nigeria are controlled and contained quickly.
The Multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group, headed by the Nigerian Center for Disease Control (NCDC), has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre and is working with the Lagos State Health Authorities to respond to this case and implement control measures.
I wish to assure all Nigerians that have we have been beefing up our preparedness capabilities since the first confirmation of cases in China, and we will use all the resources made available by the government to respond to this case.
Please remember that most people who are infected suffer only minor ailments and can recover easily. However, this can be more difficult for others, especially the elderly and people with other chronic diseases.
All Nigerians must take care of their health and maintain hand and respiratory hygiene to protect themselves and others, including their own families.
How to Prevent Coronavirus
- Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and water and use alcohol-based hand disinfectants.
- Keep a distance of at least 5 feet between yourself and anyone who coughs or sneezes.
- People who cough or sneeze continuously must stay at home or keep a social distance.
- Make sure you and the people around you maintain respiratory hygiene. This means that if you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth and nose with a handkerchief or tissue. Then discard the used tissue immediately.
- Stay at home if you feel uncomfortable with symptoms such as fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing. Please call the toll free NCDC number available day and night for reference – 0800-970000-10. Do not self medicate.
- 1.First Case Of Corona Virus Disease Confirmed In Nigeria. Nigeria Centre for Disease Control . https://ncdc.gov.ng/news/227/first-case-of-corona-virus-disease-confirmed-in-nigeria.